The most recent local news from in and around Pateley Bridge, Nidderdale and the Harrogate Area.
Pateley & Nidderdale News
- Newly-married Yorkshire cricketer, 26, dies after cancer battle March 21, 2019
The cricketing community has paid tribute to a young sportsman who has died from cancer at the age of just 26.
- Harrogate District campaigners' petition to 'stop bank closures' February 28, 2019
A campaign is set to launch in the Dales, spearheaded by community and business leaders from across the district, to force a government debate on the loss of local banks
- How you can shape 'crucial plan' for Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty February 21, 2019
A consultation is set to launch on a ‘crucial plan,’ to determine how the Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty will be managed, as challenges loom for sectors including farming post-Brexit. …
- 'Last push' to secure Nidderdale bus service February 1, 2019
With only days left to secure the return of three summer and bank-holiday bus services across the Dales, a final appeal has been made to secure the funds needed and ‘cross the finishing line.’
- Nidderdale Dark Skies Festival: Discovery sites revealed 'to see stars in all their glory' January 25, 2019
Four spots in the Dales have been officially declared as ‘discovery sites,’ to take in stars as the world celebrates fifty years since mankind first landed on the Moon.
- Nidderdale Plus: Transport lifeline for Dales residents aims to grow January 11, 2019
A community transport scheme, providing vital links for elderly and disabled Dales residents to the ‘necessities of life,’ is aiming to expand.
- Dales residents set to gather over housing plans 'which could change the face' of their village January 11, 2019
Residents are set to gather for a public meeting over plans for a housing development, ‘which could change the face’ of a village in the Dales.
- Leeds man pays compensation after his dog killed four lambs at Yorkshire farm January 10, 2019
A dog owner whose puppy attacked a flock of sheep and killed four lambs has been ordered to pay more than £800 in compensation.
- Nidderdale trade perseveres in face of poor grouse season December 11, 2018
Hopes are high that the Dales has not lost out despite concerns over the impact of a tough grouse shooting season.
- Birds of prey and impact of 'abhorrent' killings on Nidderdale tourism draw December 3, 2018
The impact of the 'abhorrent' killing of rare birds of prey on the district's tourism sector has been flagged by the Nidderdale Chamber of Trade, following two confirmed cases of shooti …
- Armistice Day 2018: Three Nidderdale brothers left for war, one did not return home November 9, 2018
The family of three brothers from Nidderdale who fought in the Great War, have spoken of the importance of ‘appreciating peace’ with the stories of our fallen servicemen.
- Nidderdale bus route cut could leave residents 'isolated' October 20, 2018
A Nidderdale parish council have said cuts to the district’s no.24 bus route could leave residents more isolated, just at a time that developers are eyeing the village for housing developments.
- Nidderdale volunteers appeal to trace identities of three World War One soldiers October 13, 2018
Researchers for an exhibition, showcasing the bravery of people in the Dales during World War One, are attempting to trace the identities of three soldiers.
- Legacy of Nidderdale conservation scheme hailed by the community October 4, 2018
As it draws to a close a £1.8 million scheme, which helped protect and preserve Nidderdale’s Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, has been hailed by the community for its ‘legacy’ of working with young …
- Horrifically injured Harrogate walker inspired to volunteer for Yorkshire Air Ambulance rescuers October 1, 2018
The story of a 72-year-old Harrogate man who suffered multiple injures falling 30 ft in the Yorkshire Dales, and has since joined the ranks of his rescuers, the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, is to feature …
- Future of Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty at a crossroads September 30, 2018
A movement among the communities of the Dales is needed to help protect it's treasured landscapes, as vital sources of funding draw to a close.
- Beer and Beef Festival to come to the North of England for first time ever August 8, 2018
A farm near Masham is gearing up to host the North of England's first ever Beer and Beef Festival this September.
- Emma Stothard’s giant sculpture surprise to mark Harrogate farm shop milestone at Great Yorkshire Show April 16, 2019
A specially commissioned giant installation, created by Whitby-based sculptor Emma Stothard, is set to be revealed at this summer’s Great Yorkshire Show.
- Great Yorkshire Show director warns of need to protect agricultural shows as tickets go on sale for 161st event April 16, 2019
Agricultural shows are the best way for farmers to connect with the public, despite the rise of social media, and the industry cannot afford to lose them, according to the show director of the Yorkshi …
- Harrogate homeless: Here's how real lives are turned around April 16, 2019
Local authorities are now saying that giving money to charities is better than giving to street beggars in Harrogate. I visited a hostel to see how the money is spent helping the homeless.
- Harrogate residents' new road closure nightmare April 16, 2019
Weary drivers and residents in the Knaresborough Road area of Harrogate are set to be hit by a new set of roadworks lasting months.
- No more delays to tackling congestion in Harrogate and Knaresborough, North Yorkshire's highways chief says April 15, 2019
Action to tackle the mounting congestion that threatens the economy and wellbeing in a North Yorkshire district cannot be delayed any further, the county’s highways leader has urged.
- How did former Wetherby High School pupil Joe Atkinson become a cold hearted killer? April 14, 2019
On one night in December last year high-achieving, intelligent maths graduate Joe Atkinson – a man with no history of violence – suddenly became a savage, cold-blooded killer.
- Poppy Devey Waterhouse murder: Evil ex-boyfriend destroyed bright graduate's chances to 'change the world' April 14, 2019
She was a high flying graduate with her whole life ahead of her before her but her ex-boyfriend destroyed all that in a jealous rage.
- Jealous murderer Joe Atkinson jailed for life over brutal killing of girlfriend Poppy Devey Waterhouse as she was about to leave him April 14, 2019
A maths graduate who murdered his girlfriend in a frenzied knife attack in a 'jealous rage' at their flat in Leeds is today starting a life sentence.
- Anti-Brexit Labour peer to talk in Harrogate April 12, 2019
Leading anti-Brexit Labour peer Lord Adonis is speaking in Harrogate tonight after being invited jointly by local group North Yorkshire for Europe and the People's Vote campaign.
- Crescent Gardens fiasco: The whole story April 12, 2019
After all the delays, the dreams, the broken promises and the controversy, Harrogate Borough Council now finds itself back to square one over Crescent Gardens.
- Harrogate's incredibly brave Lauren wins top Yorkshire award April 12, 2019
Harrogate's Lauren Doherty is an inspirational person – and now the amazing work she does after a horrific road accident has been recognised with a top award.
- New Harrogate shop to open this weekend April 12, 2019
A new Harrogate shop is to open this weekend in a key spot.
- Harrogate street whose roadworks are a farce April 12, 2019
Many parts of Harrogate are suffering from the wave of roadworks and closures but residents in one leafy street had a special surprise this week – their roadworks returned only a few days after they h …
- Harrogate council rejects Crescent Gardens inquiry calls April 11, 2019
Harrogate Borough Council has rejected calls for an inquiry after the embarrassing collapse of £75 million plans for Crescent Gardens.
- Why Starbeck crossing delays should be sorted out April 11, 2019
One man who cares more than most about Harrogate’s railway service and the Starbeck crossing is ex-chief executive of Harorgate and District of Commerce, Brian Dunsby, OBE.
- Harrogate shop pulls out of Record Store Day April 11, 2019
Harrogate’s longest-established independent record shop has pulled out of this weekend's popular Record Store Day saying it was simply not worth the trouble.
- New! Harrogate group to launch 48,000 leaflets against 'relief road' April 11, 2019
Residents against the idea of a new road near Nidd Gorge are to deliver 48,000 leaflets before the long-awaited public consultation over proposals to tackle traffic congestion in Harrogate and Knaresb …
- Harrogate developer's shock claim: 'We remain under contract on Crescent Gardens' April 9, 2019
The Harrogate developer at the centre of the Crescent Gardens controversy says, in his view, he is still under contract on the £75 million plans – even though the council announced on Monday it had en …
- Criticism after collapse of £75m Crescent Gardens development in Harrogate April 9, 2019
The collapse of the controversial £75 million Cresecent Gardens development in the heary of historic Harrogate has prompted calls for the who site to be used for community purposes.
- Harrogate Council opposition leader Pat Marsh calls for investigation into collapsed deal to sell council's former Crescent Gardens HQ April 8, 2019
An investigation into the handling of the protracted sale of a North Yorkshire town’s former civic headquarters will be called for by a senior councillor, following the deal’s dramatic collapse after …