The most recent local news from in and around Pateley Bridge, Nidderdale and the Harrogate Area.
Pateley & Nidderdale News
- Armistice Day 2018: Three Nidderdale brothers left for war, one did not return home November 9, 2018
The family of three brothers from Nidderdale who fought in the Great War, have spoken of the importance of ‘appreciating peace’ with the stories of our fallen servicemen.
- Nidderdale bus route cut could leave residents 'isolated' October 20, 2018
A Nidderdale parish council have said cuts to the district’s no.24 bus route could leave residents more isolated, just at a time that developers are eyeing the village for housing developments.
- Nidderdale volunteers appeal to trace identities of three World War One soldiers October 13, 2018
Researchers for an exhibition, showcasing the bravery of people in the Dales during World War One, are attempting to trace the identities of three soldiers.
- Legacy of Nidderdale conservation scheme hailed by the community October 4, 2018
As it draws to a close a £1.8 million scheme, which helped protect and preserve Nidderdale’s Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, has been hailed by the community for its ‘legacy’ of working with young …
- Horrifically injured Harrogate walker inspired to volunteer for Yorkshire Air Ambulance rescuers October 1, 2018
The story of a 72-year-old Harrogate man who suffered multiple injures falling 30 ft in the Yorkshire Dales, and has since joined the ranks of his rescuers, the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, is to feature …
- Future of Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty at a crossroads September 30, 2018
A movement among the communities of the Dales is needed to help protect it's treasured landscapes, as vital sources of funding draw to a close.
- Beer and Beef Festival to come to the North of England for first time ever August 8, 2018
A farm near Masham is gearing up to host the North of England's first ever Beer and Beef Festival this September.
- BBC to shine spotlight on Pateley Bridge's push for gold in national competition April 27, 2018
A BBC fly-on-the-wall show is to put Pateley Bridge’s push for gold at the Britain in Bloom competition in the national spotlight.
- Cheers to life-saving donations after Nidderdale pub smashes fund-raising goal April 19, 2018
An overwhelming show of support from local businesses and the customers of a Pateley Bridge pub has seen more than £2,000 raised in a week for a new defibrillator.
- Pateley Bridge artist’s bust of famous sculptor earns place at London show April 7, 2018
Meeting your heroes can be a nervy enough experience, but getting the chance to sculpt their portrait is on quite another level.
- Harrogate Councillor reprimanded for disrespectful behaviour March 21, 2018
A Harrogate Borough Councillor has been reprimanded for disrespectful behaviour towards council staff, including the district’s chief planner.
- Six Yorkshire postcodes appear in Sunday Times Best Places to Live guide for 2018 March 16, 2018
Four Yorkshire property hotspots are new entries in this year's Best Places to Live guide compiled by The Sunday Times.
- Anti-bullying ambassador scheme to launch at Nidderdale High February 27, 2018
Students are taking responsibility for supporting one another as Nidderdale High School prepares to launch a new anti-bullying ambassador scheme.
- Pledges needed to secure cross-county bus route for Nidderdale as deadline looms February 26, 2018
An urgent appeal for cash pledges to open up the countryside and boost the district economy with a new summer bus service has been made.
- Driver hospitalised after colliding with tree near Summerbridge February 14, 2018
Emergency service crews were called out to Summerbridge after a car collided with a tree
- Survivor of heart attack flags importance of defibrillators after collapse at Nidderdale Church February 8, 2018
The survivor of a heart attack has spoken out about the importance of defibrillators in remote areas like Nidderdale after his life was saved minutes before a funeral service was set to begin.
- Milk spill after tanker crashes on North Yorkshire road February 7, 2018
Firefighters have been battling to contain a milk spillage after a tanker overturned on a rural road.
- Fell rescuers called out to assist ambulance crew near Pateley Bridge January 19, 2018
Fell rescuers were called out assist an ambulance crew after an elderly woman was injured walking near Pateley Bridge.
- Queen's invitation for Dales town's Great British heroes December 28, 2017
Pateley Bridge’s amazing new and improved national profile has been recognised with a royal invitation from The Queen.
- Second round of consultation for 'Gouthwaite Wildlife Centre' plans December 28, 2017
Fresh consultation dates have been announced by the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust to determine if plans for a new ‘Gouthwaite Wildlife Centre’ should still go ahead.
- This Harrogate pub has been named one of the most dog-friendly in Yorkshire November 13, 2018
A Harrogate pub has been crowned one the most dog-friendly places in Yorkshire in a national survey to find the watering hole with the happiest hounds.
- Nearly half of Harrogate parents are failing to pay their child's maintenance fees November 13, 2018
More than 40 per cent of parents who have their child maintenance payments controlled by the Government in Harrogate are failing to pay their ex-partners.
- Approved: More luxury homes for Harrogate November 13, 2018
A luxury home firm is promoting its new development near Harrogate after winning planning permission.
- Harrogate health services brace for busy winter period November 12, 2018
Tackling flu and cutting down on avoidable emergency department admissions are among the focuses for Harrogate health services as they gear up for a busy winter period.
- WW1: Harrogate's war years explained by Malcolm Neesam November 12, 2018
What were Harrogate's war years like for local people in the First World War?
- Revealed: Opening date for Next in Harrogate November 12, 2018
It turns out those rumours about the major new store opening in Harrogate's Victoria Shopping Centre were correct afterall.
- Harrogate Armistice Day service: Hundreds pay tribute to district's fallen November 11, 2018
The bells of St.Peter's Church and the music of marching bands fell silent in Harrogate as hundreds bowed their heads to remember the sacrifices made 100 years ago.
- Armistice 2018: Your guide to the events of WW1 remembrance across Harrogate District this weekend November 9, 2018
Here is a list of the main events across the Harrogate District which have been organised this weekend to mark the 100th anniversary of the World War One Armistice.
- Revealed! Result of Harrogate BID vote November 9, 2018
The result of the Harrogate BID ballot of town centre businesses has been announced.
- Remembrance Day in Knaresborough: 'Cry for peace' to ring out across castle grounds November 9, 2018
'A Cry for Peace,' will echo across the illuminated grounds of Knaresborough Castle this Remembrance Day, as the town pays tribute to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice with a series of n …
- Success: Knaresborough author published after 20 years November 9, 2018
After nearly 20 years of trying, the success of Knaresborough author’s debut novel shows that talent and persistence does pay off.
- How the Harrogate Terriers – our heroes of the First World War – fought and fell for our freedom November 9, 2018
Many of us might not know that some of the bravest heroes of the First World War were born here in Harrogate.
- The young talented Harrogate cricketer who died of a shell wound on the Somme November 9, 2018
Horace Rymer had moved to Harrogate as a child, from the Isle of Man where his father had been a school teacher.
- Harrogate author's book about district's First World War heroes available now November 9, 2018
A Harrogate author's book about the part that the town's men and boys played in winning the First World War for their King and country is available to buy now.
- Here's how the Harrogate Herald newspaper reported the end of the First World War November 9, 2018
A century on, it is hard for us to visualise what it was like for the young men, women and families living in Harrogate during the First World War.
- Hundreds of poppies strung up on Harrogate's streets showing where fallen soldiers lived November 9, 2018
Some 780 knitted poppies have been attached to the street lights of addresses in Harrogate where men and women, lost in the First World War, had once lived.
- Iconic Harrogate location fights to survive with new role November 9, 2018
One of the most iconic buildings in Harrogate faces an uncertain future unless it transforms itself.
- Harrogate's band of ten brothers who went off to fight in the First World War November 9, 2018
One Harrogate family saw ten brothers serving their king and country in the First World War. But, not all of them lived to tell the tale.
- The story of the Harrogate teenage girl killed in the Barnbow munitions explosion November 9, 2018
The name of a Harrogate teenage girl, who was killed in a munitions factory explosion in 1916, is immortalised alongside hundreds of others on Harrogate’s War memorial.
- Harrogate event: One light for every fallen WWI soldier November 9, 2018
Harrogate school children have created a light for every name on Harrogate’s war memorial as part of remarkable plans to mark the end of the First World One by the town’s largest and most architectura …